Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Tuesday, December 1, Day 8

I spent part of the morning Googling "Kiev apartments." After we got off the train last night in Kiev, Konstantin brought us to a $90-a-night apartment that really is NO nicer than some of the $50-a-night apartments we've stayed in. He said it was the cheapest he could find. I found several on the Internet and called and discovered that people are ready and willing to negotiate, so I called the management company of our apartment and said we were checking out; come and collect your $90. They asked how much we were willing to pay. We said we had found one for $50. They said, "Okay. You can stay where you are for $50." Michael said, "Good job, Lori." I figure during the swine flu scare, there must be tons of vacant apartments; why not save some money? Isn't this already costing a fortune?

We spent the other part of the morning buying more minutes for our cell phone and buying a flash drive, going to an Internet cafe, downloading Firefox on the flash drive, and then installing it on our computer. All this was done in a foreign country by two computer idiots (us). We gave ourselves a pat on the back. The reason we did this is because our Internet Explorer quit working the minute we arrived in Ukraine, and we have not been able to put pictures on our blog. We've been able to access the internet and post via Team Viewer, but we couldn't post pictures. So then suddenly after we got all this done, the Internet Explorer magically started working again. Oh, brother. Computers are mind boggling to me. Michael can sit here in Kiev and access his computer at work as if he were sitting in his office in Taylorsville. He and his secretary are both on the computer simultaneously and communicating with each other. So our previous posts have actually been posted from Michael's office computer in Taylorsville!

We waited all afternoon for our second SDA appointment. We even walked to the SDA and hung out in the cold rain for two hours. Konstantin told the SDA that "The family is nearby and can come in a moment's notice." But it did not happen. Boo. They are requiring more paperwork, some sort of application asking them to do something, so we'll be going to the notary again tomorrow (Wednesday) and then the SDA at 3:00 p.m.

After that we ate dinner for a total of $7 at "our restaurant." They probably recognize us now. Jen, it's the one where the two cute Ukrainian boys gave you a taste off their plate. Our apartment is about a half block from there.

We keep hoping we see the cute Mormon Elders or Sisters so we could buy them lunch, but no luck. We also want to take a taxi today to see the Kiev Temple that's being built.

It's so awful to be away from our family during the holidays. Marissa put up our Christmas lights outside a couple days ago. Gage and Emily were assigned to put up and decorate the tree. Sometimes I find the holidays to be a drudgery, but I'm sure wishing I were home now.

7 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you!! Way to get that price down-I hope you had you're "don't mess with me" Ukraine face on when this all went down.
    We had lunch today and missed you terribly. I told everyone there (Ann, Charise, Carlin, Julee, Amy & Doug Arnold, Amy Rast & we had new people David & Griselda) about your experience so far and to log on and follow you. Many people didn't even know you were over there!
    So, this second appointment I take is for Rita? Amy asked me if you were going to get her.
    I told them about Sasha's dirty clothes, your sleeping arrangements-with the door that won't shut and the three of you in one bed, the two kids you witnessed being dropped off and how ridiculous the price of your Kiev apartment was and your expensive ride. We all are re-living this with you.
    Keep blogging. Don't feel so bad when you see my blog, you'll be in my spot soon!
    If there is anything I can do here, let me know!
    W

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Lori! Wendy told me you were in the Ukraine and blogging and I had to come read all about it. You are now an experienced Ukrainian traveler. You are impressive even wheeling and dealing in the Ukraine. :) You guys have sure had your share of experiences with all of this. I really appreciate the example you have set of faith and fortitude. I will keep reading. Hope all goes well with the second SDA appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lori, I'm going to try and post a comment again. I thought I did after your first post, but it isn't showing up.
    Glad everything is going smoothly so far. Hope it continues to go well. Sasha is darling. We are leaving on Monday, so maybe we will see you there! I will e-mail you with phone numbers.
    Take care! The Sopers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved seeing all the pictures, he is a darling boy. I'm so happy things are working out for you with him. I will say I don't envy you being back over on another adventure! Your in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great following your blog. You look so happy, with a tinge of tired. :) I'll bet it is hard to be there right now, but it will soon be over and you'll be back here where you belong. I'll keep the SAC blog updated. I added a star to your city on the map.

    Thanks for being so diligent with your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is all very exciting!!! I can't believe you could be bringing two kids home! A big YEAH!!! for all of you! Lucky you! Rita will be back sooner! On the other hand, you were tested in many ways none of us could bear ! You desserve it all! Keep us posted!!! Monique

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lori & Michael,

    It brings back memories reading your blog and I am so glad that I am not there (sorry!). We are thinking about you back here and hope that your process goes smoothly and quickly!

    ReplyDelete