Thursday, December 10, 2009

Tues, Wed, Thurs, December 8, 9, and 10

Michael and I are here without our facilitator. She has gone back to Kiev. We figured out how to take the bus to town and are sitting in McDonald's because they have WiFi here. We have been here so long, I'm surprised they haven't kicked us out.

Here is a recap of the last few days.

Tuesday. What did we do? The days all run together now. Each day we go to visit Rita at 3:00 p.m. until about 4:45, when she goes to a "homework" class. It's hard to think of things to do with her because of the language barrier, and we're not allowed to leave the premises the way we did at Dnipro. We play games with her and her friends. She has darling friends: Marina, Lena, Iryna, Tania, and Natasha are probably her best friends. The weather here is so cold. No snow, but I wear three layers on my legs, and it's still cold. Well, we are almost in Russia. In the movies, Russia always seems so cold. Now I know why. Our new apartment is fine. It's a long ways from everything, but the taxi isn't too expensive. No washer or dryer (of course). We hand wash a few things every day and hang them all over the place. It takes two or three days for jeans to dry. Our facilitator is still trying to consolidate our two adoptions into one case. We personally don't think it will work. My ankle gets a little better every day. We actually took a pretty lengthy walk today. We haven't seen the sun since November 25th. Every day is gray and cold. Black at 4:00 p.m. We had to decide on Sasha's name today. His first name is Oleksandr, so we Americanized it into Alex. We gave him three choices for a middle name. He chose Jeffrey. So his name is: Alex Jeffrey Lawrence. Cute, huh? He's so cute on the phone. He has a sort of husky, deep voice. It makes me laugh.

Wednesday. We got really good news and really bad news today. Inna literally begged the judge in Rivne (where Alex is) to schedule a court date, which is set for December 18, a week from Friday. The judge agreed to waive our ten-day waiting period after court!!!!! It will be a huge rush to do the birth certificate, passport, etc., before everything closes on the 22nd. We are not trying to get our hopes too high. A million things can go wrong. Now for the bad news. The ornery judge here in Sumy was so irritated by another case, that he almost refused to speak to Inna. She asked him, "Why are you taking it out on me? I have nothing to do with that case?" He finally said, "Come back next Wednesday, and we'll talk about a future court date." So it appears to us there is no possible way to get to court before everything closes down. The ultimate disaster is that in January, we'll be back home with Alex. There is no way we can leave him there in SLC to come back to Sumy for Rita's court and 10-day wait etc. unless we can do a one-parent adoption. Also we cannot afford to have Michael miss any more work. By the time we get home, his practice will have been closed for thirty days. We simply don't know what's going to happen. Please keep us in your prayers. We are stuck here until next Wednesday before anything more can happen.

6 comments:

  1. Wow Lori. Hang in there and try to stay warm. It hasn't gotten out of the teens or twenties this week here, so it's real cold too, but the sun comes out alittle which is my salvation. We are praying for you. If you see Maria Anatolivna, tell her hi from Laina (Lena Spasianova) McGinty's family. She was the mother teacher for her in Sumy. She's prob with the class ahead of Rita.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are in our prayers. Good news on the 10-day waive. I can't believe the Sumy judge! What a joke. We'll all pray that the heart of the judge is softened. It's so sad the he can arbitrarily determine court dates at his will, when he feels like it, and there is no recourse for you. Makes you glad to be an American. Whatever happens, hopefully you can divide the remainder of the time up. The worst part for you at this point has to be the unsure future. Hopefully you can get some concrete dates soon so you can have some semblance of what the next few weeks will bring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex is a great name!! I hope he's as loving and sweet as mine!
    UHG...Sumy judge!! I will be praying that he has a good day next Wednesday and gets you right in. If you can just get her court date then only one of you will have to come back in January. Good grief....
    Thanks for posting, I check on you so often but this morning was up to my neck in work and finally had a minute and found you had posted. (Insert sounds of glee right here!)
    Hang in there. Glad your ankle is getting better. We're frozen here too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodnes!! I know I'm bad about posting comments but want you to know I love hearing how it's going and seeing pictures! I got misty eyed when I read about his name. Very sweet. I don't know much about Rita. I love you guys! Steph

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori,
    What a deal! You are super woman doing this right before Christmas! You are in my prayers. I am impressed with the love and sacrifice you have demonstrated in bringing these kids into your home. You guys are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lori,

    Last year we went to the market and bought some of the black tights that were all over the place. They really helped keep my legs warm. I even wore them to church under my skirt. We always walked to church on Sunday's and I stayed warm while we walked.

    They also have shoe inserts that are made out of wool. They should help keep your feet warm while walking on the cement. I didn't buy any of these because I found out about them about a day before I left and didn't see the point. You might want to try them.

    Also, everything was pretty much open for us until January 1 when we were there last year. The US Embassy closes to the Ukranian citizens just before Christmas but US citizens could go any time. It actually made our getting out of Ukraine much faster since there weren't as many people at the empbassy. The US Embassy was closed on Dec. 24 & 25 and then it closed from Jan. 1-7. If you can get a court date for Rita before you leave, your facilitator can get any of the other paper work done while you are back here in the states.

    Good luck, David and I really understand how hard it is to be there this time of year. We missed Thanksgiving and Christmas last year so we are trying to make this year more special.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete