Tuesday, June 30, 2009

We're Home

With great sadness last Wednesday, we called Oksana and asked her to stop all work on our adoption of Ruslan. I think she knew it might be coming. Things were good the first few days with Ruslan but quickly started to unravel on Sunday evening, and every passing day the problems seemed to increase and the pit in my stomach got bigger. I know that's very vague, but I have resolved to spare everyone the details. The bottom line is that the relationship between us and Ruslan never developed. Michael hung on a little longer than I did and kept trying to be a cheerleader, but on Wednesday, even he acknowledged that with court looming two days away, we had to call it quits. Oksana had worked miracles in getting such an early court date, but it ended up being a two-edged sword because it forced us into making a decision really fast. We found out after we arrived in Ukraine that the court in Dnipro would be closed for two weeks beginning June 29, and it put everything for us on a fast track.

I want to make it clear here that I think Ruslan has potential. He's smart, handsome, coordinated, and we're told he's healthy. Although the dynamics with our family didn't work out, we're very hopeful that when he's hosted this fall, it will work great for another family.

We met with Ruslan Thursday to tell him good-bye. Michael did an A+ job of explaining and trying to teach some things to him. He listened and didn't shed any tears, although Michael had to stop to gain his composure. After Ruslan left the room, Michael and I both broke down into sobs. We were told by the Bensons that Ruslan came out of the room, went outside, and started playing with the other kids as if nothing happened. They also saw him extensively later that day, and he seemed to be happy as a clam. He was hanging out with Oksana and Lena most of the day. This was really good to hear. The last thing we ever wanted was to harm that little boy further. He will always be in our thoughts and prayers.

So we have spent the last 14 months hoping to bring an orphan from Ukraine into our family. We suffered the painful loss of Bogdan, and now our second trip to Ukraine is etched into our minds. If we have any words of advice, it is that the hosting program works much better than blind adoption. Blind adoption is a little like going to Vegas, only you need to put all your money on the table even before you leave home. It's difficult to build a relationship and make eternal decisions after a few short days with someone, especially in a foreign country and within the walls of an orphanage. I applaud those that have been successful at it.

I want to take my hat off to Michael, who traveled with me every step of the way on this journey, and we give our sincere thanks to Drew and Jen Benson. Jen and I shed tears together as this story played out, and Drew gave us some great words of advice and was our electronics coach while in Ukraine. (Most electronics stop working when we touch them.) Also the Lobos clan always had kind words for us. Thanks to all of you who emotionally supported us by your kind words on the blog, and thanks to our own children, our parents, and our brothers and sisters for your support.

We have certainly learned to appreciate this country, with all of its problems, and are glad to be home.

7 comments:

  1. Oh Lori, I'm so sorry. How heartbreaking for you. Some day I'm sure we'll all look back on our lives and be able to "connect the dots" and see why somethings happened and somethings didn't.
    Much love!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you ever imagine what the past year would bring when you decided to host Bogdan? Wow - your family have been through it, and we are proud of you for trying. You did your very best to make it all work. You are an awesome family. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been waiting to hear how you are doing! I'm glad you're home safely and probably really happy to be with your kids. I'm sorry for all that you have been through. But, I am eternally grateful that I had you here for the first length of our adoption. Maybe you were meant to be there for me...I know quite the expensive trip to just benefit me, but I'm trying to look at the bright side! One day we will look back and understand why things happen to us the way they do. Thank you for your friendship and again, I'm sorry for all that your family has had to endure. You are a shining star of how to take adversity head on and fight your way through it. We miss you here, it's not the same without you.
    Love,
    Jen
    P.S. We are doing well and feeling really good about things. It will be nice to get them both home and start the next length of this adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry Lori, I can't imagine how you must be feeling. It takes a lot of courage to do the right thing and I admire you for making the tough decision. There is a reason for everything and I am sure someday you will understand the why. You and your husband are amazing people who have been through so much. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori,

    I am so sorry that it didn't work out for you guys. It is a big decision that couldn't be taken lightly and a committment that would have lasted the rest of your life. I am glad that you did what you felt in your heart because in the end that is probably the way it was supposed to be. I also hope that Ruslan finds a family in the fall. It is definately different when they come and meet the family in the family's surrounding, instead of just having these people drop in from America and ask them unexpectedly if they want to move halfway across the world. I, too, would advise against a blind adoption. If we wouldn't have been able to adopt Katya I don't think I would have been brave enough to do what you did. You guys are awesome people for wanting to help out children in need.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you posted I was starting to worry about you guys not hearing from you. I totally understand the pit in the stomach! I'm glad your home safe and I'll call or email you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry. What an emotional roller coaster you have been on. I admire your courage to do what you feel in your heart. As my friend likes to say, "that which doesn't kill you will only make you stronger." But that doesn't take the pain away. I hope you are ok. May the Lord bless you.

    ReplyDelete