Monday, June 15, 2009

The Saga Continues

Well, it's 5:45 p.m. Monday. We're back in the apartment. Still no sign of my suitcase, but today I learned that there's a lot worse things than lost luggage and having only one set of clothes.

Our appointment was 9:30 a.m. The first thing the woman at the SDA asked was, "You want to adopt two children, Bogdan and Yan?"

Oh, boy, are they behind. They had to go hunt down our latest letter to them. Then they couldn't find the files on the two new boys we want to look at. After a while, they found the files but said it appeared that Ruslan's paperwork had not been registered and that he may not be available for adoption. We were a little blown away by this bit of news because we have been most interested in and feeling positive about Ruslan. They told us to come back after lunch so they could investigate the situation.

So we left and waited and waited for Irina to call us while we mulled over the possibilities. We walked for hours with Jen and Drew and did more than enough sightseeing, ate lunch, and waited some more. Finally Irina called and told us to come back to the SDA. Yeah! She met us outside the building and said, "We are very sorry, but Ruslan's paperwork did not ever get sent from the region to the SDA. He will not be available for international adoption for one year."

I can't begin to describe the emotions that welled up inside of me. I hope Irina and Sergei aren't afraid of me now, but I started to get slightly hysterical. I said, "This is the second time we've been to Ukraine. We picked this little boy out of a group of others. We were told he was officially available June 8. We've paid over $20,000 to get to this point. How could someone have made this mistake?"

I know there was a lot more said, but I'm giving the Reader's Digest version.

Irina said, "Just a moment." She walked away from us and got on her cell phone. Then things started to happen that I will probably never fully understand, but eventually a woman came out of the SDA with a file, handed it to Irina, Irina went back into the SDA, then came out again and said, "They have found the paperwork. Ruslan will be available June 22."

What? I don't get it, but I'm not asking too many questions. Somehow the papers were found, and I don't care where they found them or whether they will be manufacturing them, just that for now everything is still okay.

So tomorrow we're headed for Dnipro with Jen and Drew on the night train to meet Zhenia and (unofficially) Ruslan.

And with that, I will end on the happy note that my luggage just arrived.

10 comments:

  1. Lori,

    I am sooo glad they found your luggage. I can imagine what it would be like to have it lost.

    It is funny about the paperwork and how things work here! You never really know what is going on...

    See you soon - that is great that you get to be on the night train tonight. Maybe we will see you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got chills when I read this, if you hadn't fought for this boy he would be languishing there for another year or for forever. Best of luck to you and we are sending prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry it's been crazy for you already. Do you have to go back to the SDA on June 22? I hope things settle down and come together for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad things have worked out today. I went through the same emotions you did as we listened to the news Irina had to share with us. My heart sank, then I couldn't believe that all of a sudden the paperwork was found. Way too many emotions to go through in a 20 minute window. I can imagine it was all 10x as bad for you. I'm happy we're together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...what a saga this is turning into. You've been there just a few days and already your nerves have been tested to the extreme. I had to laugh when you said '...don't ask too many questions'. That's kind of the story of a Ukrainian adoption process. Don't ask, don't tell. :)

    We're glad that as rough as things have been, things are moving forward and you get the see Ruslan very soon. We so look forward to that post and the accompanying pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes I think it pays to get a little upset over there. I think they really don't care about what we have gone through to get to this point, Thank goodness you stood up and told them your feelings.Our prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Lori! What a nightmare. I think you deserved to be a little hysterical!!
    I am so glad the papers "magically" appeared. I hope all your bumps and delays are over now and it's smooth sailing her on out!
    You'll be in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lori,

    I thought your blog said you were taking the night train tonight but realized that it said tomorrow. I was just trying to speed things up for you by a day - every little bit will help! Sorry :(

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's all worth it in the end. Eldie and our daughter Heidi ended up buying some “get me by clothes” after a week of waiting for the luggage. It did finally come but it had to deliver it to Vladimir’s home because we were traveling so much. When we got back to Kiev we picked it up in time for our return trip :-) They now joke about it as being an oft talked about memory of our first trip but it was totally annoying at the time.
    As for Ruslan’s paperwork, I have often said they work with one filing cabinet and it falls over every weekend. I’ll have to tell you my thoughts later off the blog.

    Hang in there, you are in our prayers.

    David & Eldie Howick

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Adoption Way crew are miracle workers. You are in good hands.

    Adopting in Ukraine is definitely an emotional rollercoaster. Hang on tight.

    ReplyDelete