Saturday, June 20, 2009

Day 3 and 4 at the Orphanage

Yesterday we ate lunch in the orphanage cafeteria. Before the children could come in and eat, an assigned group of children had to set the tables and put the food on the plates. Our own children were not allowed to sit at our table; they had to sit with the children. The food was good: soup, potatoes, beets, bread.



Here is a group of orphans. It amazes me how good these kids are to each other. It really brings tears to your eyes. If one has a bag of goodies or candy they received, they have no problem with sharing with the others. Some of the boys have on bandanas they made with the volunteers. Ruslan is in the yellow. He's standing next to Vlados. Vlados doesn't know anything about his dad; his mother lives in Moscow.



This is out of order, but here is our night train ride. Michael and I have to do this again Monday morning and back again (hopefully) Monday night.






This is us with the director, Nadia, a very gracious lady.


Today we got to take Ruslan out of the orphanage. Lena did some lengthy negotiating with the teacher, and we got permission to keep him until 5:00 p.m. We walked with the Bensons to get pizza. This kid can eat, I tell you. Three large slices of pizza, some soda, and ice cream. I don't know where he put it. Food is cheap here. A pizza, two salads, and three drinks cost $8. Then we walked to a park, and Ruslan led the way. He knows this city pretty well. We practiced naming the colors and counting money. We did some math. Ruslan said, "Math, no problem." As we walked back to the orphanage, he walked along the top of every wall he could. He loves to climb. He later climbed a tree so high, I was really nervous. We had to do a little parenting today. He threw his wrappers on the ground, and we made him go back and get them and throw them away. We explained to him that in America, we try really hard to keep our neighborhoods and cities clean and that he should start practicing now. He understood and was obedient. On the way home, he wanted a doughnut. We said no. We haven't had any pouting yet.






5 comments:

  1. Good for you standing your ground about the doughnut! That kid really could put it down. He is just excited to have good food and will calm down soon. Good to have you here...I look forward to church tomorrow.
    Love,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is so touching. What an amazing thing you are doing. Have you heard anything about your luggage? I LOVED Marissa's entry also. How funny she is. Keep up the great pictures and entries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what I've been doing wrong but now it took my comment, after several tries. Yay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex climbed on everything too. And then would jump off trying to get as much "air" as possible. I thought he was going to break his leg or something.
    I never ate in the cafeteria. What an experience. I think they're figuring out more what to do with the parents-I offically never even got a tour of where Alex slept or anything-I just followed kids into the building.
    I'm so excited for you to bring Ruslan home. Alex doesn't know him but I bet they'll hit off. He looks so little with Michael but with the other children he doesn't look so small. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's such a typical little boy. My 9-year old is just like that. When you get home, he can use that energy to wear himself out during the day. He seems like such good kid. How is he adjusting to the concept of being adopted?

    ReplyDelete