Monday, June 22, 2009

Fathers' Day/Quinn's Birthday

I woke up Sunday morning really looking forward to church. We got to the orphanage to get Ruslan changed into the clothes we brought, and he was nowhere to be found. All the children were helping us look for him. After about ten minutes, he appeared through the side entry of the grounds. He had gone to the store. Michael had given him some change yesterday, and I guess he wanted to buy some candy. Several of the children and a teacher were all trying to speak to him at once as if to say, "Where have you been? Your parents have been waiting for you?" I think he was embarrassed. Michael quickly helped him get changed. (He wanted to also give him a bath and scrub him, but that will have to wait.) We drove with Constantine and Lena to Dniproprotrosk, the nearest LDS church, about 30 minutes away. The Bensons went in a separate car with George, Nadia's husband. This picture is the door going into church. Doesn't Ruslan look spiffy?
When we walked in, there were eight cute, white-shirted elders and two sister missionaries, the majority from good old Utah. I wanted to hug them all. We felt so welcome, and I think they were so glad to have us there. They are such good young people and are doing such a good work. It was so nice to take the sacrament. Ruslan sat nice and reverently during Sacrament Meeting, but the second it was over, he was out of there! He was waiting for us in the hall while we visited with the elders. I'm sure it's difficult for these kids. We've heard from others that it takes a long time for them to start to like church. Any comments anyone?


After Sacrament Meeting we ate there in the city before heading back to Dniprodzerzhink. We dropped Ruslan off at the orphanage and told him we'd come back later. (We had our Sunday clothes on.) Everything was fine. When we came back later, he had transformed into someone we didn't know. Pout, pout, pout. He was mad about something, and we still don't know why. He wouldn't come to us, wouldn't talk to us. I know many of you adoptive parents out there have experienced this over and over, so I know this was to be expected. I was very discouraged, and then on top of that, I called home to wish Quinn a happy birthday and started crying as soon as I heard his voice, and then Quinn started crying. (Oh, do I miss my kids.) I looked up, and there were twenty children and adults staring at me watching me cry. Jen and Alex were trying to comfort me, and I felt really stupid that I couldn't control my emotions better. Anyway, it wasn't the greatest of days, and I hope today is better. Quinn, I hope you had a very happy birthday. We're going to do it all over again as soon as we get home. Dad, I tried to call you. I love you. Thanks for being a great dad.
Well, that's it for now. Lena is on her way to pick us up for the notary.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I deleted my first comment because there were too many gramatical errors. Here is the corrected version.
    You know I think that it is just as hard for these children as it is for us. Who knows what was said to him, if he got in trouble for going off to the store earlier from his teacher? If other children teased him about his new clothes or his new parents? And these kids keep things bottled up inside-even after being with Alex for 12 weeks I have to prod and pull information from him. I always know when something was said or something is bothering him when he pouts or act indifferent.
    We missed Austin's birthday while in Ukraine too. I don't think you're a whimp because you cried. You've been through a lot. You're half way around the world and you love and miss your children. So cry if you want too!
    Did everything go well in Kiev? Any idea on a court date?
    Hang in there, I found out just last night how big kids would come up and hit the little kids while eating at the cafeteria. Maybe your little kid just got socked by a jealous older kid? Or maybe he's trying to see if you'll change your mind if he acts out? Maybe someone told him you'd send him back if he was bad or leave or something?
    If he keeps it up, have Oxana or Lena translate for you and let him know the way he's acting is not acceptable. These kids haven no clue how to deal with their emotions or how to fit into a family.
    I hope you have a better day today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy makes some good points. The orphanage is probably pretty tough on him right now as they know he needs to be at the top of his game as you go through this adoption. And YES, peculiar emotions that you least expect happen often, and take you by surprise. It's not always easy, but keep you eye on the big picture. You're bringing home the little boy who you see inside, and the rough edges work themselves smooth once home. And if you need a good cry in the meantime, that's what God made tears for. :)

    It's been exciting to follow each of your experiences. Don't you just love the daily roller coaster of emotions and experiences?! It won't be long until you're home, and your families a world apart will all be together again. Meanwhile, we'll continue to pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He looks good and it's great to see him smile, we rarely got the kids to smile for pictures, still can't get Tanya too.

    I fell apart every time I called home after the first week too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori,
    I know this has been an emotional roller coaster for you and I am so sorry. I am glad to have you here, though, and that we are able to be each others' psychologists. Hope I used the correct punctuation! :) It's been nice to have others to be with through all of this process.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The earlier comments are great and I'm sure it will work out. He is going through so much and trying to figure out all these strange (and wonderful) changes that are happening. As for Church it took me a long time to like it and I was raised in the gospel :-) It will come with time and as he makes friends back at home.

    Your in our prayers.
    David & Eldie

    P.S. Marissa called about getting a copy of the Save A Child video for a presentation.

    ReplyDelete