Tuesday, March 17, 2009

We're Going to Ukraine . . .

But, sadly, not for our SDA appointment. That has been put on hold until D.L. tries to work some magic next month. No, the purpose of our visit is an attempt to soften hearts, try to make contact with Bogdan, and find out what the grandfather's position is and how he will try to influence Bogdan. We haven't heard from Bogdan since Anya was told to stop helping us. We have also learned that Bogdan's mother got out of prison in December. Oh, brother. Can the bad news stop now?

By the way, FYI, the grandpa is not a blood relative. We're unclear of the connection. We just know he potentially can influence Bogdan.

We attempted to call Bogdan's grandpa Sunday morning (with the help of J., our wonderful interpreter) and got the neighbors instead. I guess everyone shares a phone in the building or on that floor or something. It took us 20 minutes to finally get, "Oh, our neighbor is named Nikolai, and a boy named Bogdan from the orphanage comes there on Saturdays and Sundays." The neighbors were very patient and kind. They said Nikolai was not there, call back tomorrow, same time.

We did so, with Jordan's help again. Now the neighbor was not so kind, in fact very hostile. "Nikolai will not talk to you over the phone. If you want to talk to him, you will have to come here to talk to him. The mother got out of prison, and she will never allow you to adopt Bogdan." Click.

By the way, we don't know what the mother was in prison for, but there are records regarding her severe neglect of her children. That was being looked into at the time of her arrest and imprisonment. Bogdan told us he writes to his mother in prison, "But she has never written me back." I guess this is a classic example of, "I don't want him, but no one else can have him either."

So now we have to wonder: What does Bogdan want? We have no way to communicate with him. In my heart, I know he still wants to be adopted by us, but what have the grandfather and the director and the mother told Bogdan about us and about Americans? I only pray that he can remember how good things were when he was here.

Thank you to everyone for sending me pictures of your families and adopted children. I am going to show them to the "grandfather."

So, you see, we have no choice but to go and try to see Bogdan. How can I wonder forever if he was waiting for us to come and we never came? Please continue to keep us in your prayers. Our support group is wonderful.

3 comments:

  1. Of course you need to go! He needs to know that you have not given up and it's not you that's preventing this from happening! Oh, I pray for you and the situation in Kremnchuk. Keep posting so I can keep track of you! We leave for the airport in less than two hours! I know I've over packed! But I just keep thinking of more things to bring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Lori! That is more of a statement of "I can't believe this." This is really a hard situation and I'm so sorry. I'm glad to hear you are going and will be praying for your success. I would give you pictures, but realize you are needing them from those that have already adopted. I hope we both can join their ranks soon. Good luck and I'll see you on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, we sure hope this all works out for you! This is a brave move on your part, and hopefully you'll be able to come home with some understanding one way or the other.

    ReplyDelete