Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Science Fair Projects

Are there any moms out there who HATE the science fair projects as much as I do? However, Quinn and I are doing a pretty fun one this year. I say "Quinn and I" because everyone knows these things would never happen without a mom prodding and pushing behind the scenes, right? Quinn's science fair project question is: Are cookies made with name-brand ingredients better than cookies made with generic or "value" ingredients? So we made a huge batch of cookies using the name-brand ingredients, Hershey's, Quaker, Viva, C&H, Arm & Hammer, Morton, Crisco, Pillsbury, McCormick. Then we made a huge batch of cookies using the "cheap" ingredients, Kroger, Great Value, Western Family. Even the eggs, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda were made with the cheapest "no name" ingredients. The same recipe was used for both batches, and our measurements were impeccable. Then we invitied our neighbors to come and do a taste test, not knowing which was which. We had over forty people come to our house last night to participate. Invite them to come eat cookies, and they will come! Then each person secretly voted for which cookie they liked best, the ones on the red plate or the ones on the black plate. Guess which one won? The cheap, generic cookies won with 27 votes, the name brand cookies receiving 12 votes. Two people didn't vote; they said they couldn't tell any difference. Wow. It only goes to prove what I've known all along.

Now any ideas for Alex's project? One down, one to go.

4 comments:

  1. Reminds me of my favorite science project, the one where we tested the difference of choc. chip cookies made with butter vs. margarine. Margarine won! My other favorite project was the one where Bruce totally helped Greg and I didn't have to do anything except buy poster board. The rest of the science projects are on my "things I hate most in the world" list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the year my daughter, Katelyn, had to do the science fair and history fair. I was so glad that Matthew didn't have to do either project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex is doing a dumb one about apples and storing them in the fridge in tin foil, plastic wrap, baggie and wax paper. It's easy and we just pull them out every few days and take pictures.
    I don't know why they don't call these parent/child science projects because parents certainly do at least half the work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like science fair projects either, mom has to do most of the work, like we don't already have enough to do. Megan's in 5th grade and they are doing fair projects also. She is doing hers on mummification. We are mummifying hotdogs with baking soda. Kinds fun.

    ReplyDelete