Wednesday, November 11, 2009

We took Gage to the Missionary Training Center Wednesday, November 4, 2009. He has been gone one week now. The week went by pretty quickly for me. I wonder if it went as quickly for him? Here he is the morning of November 4 in his bedroom, all packed and ready to go. He looks so young to me. It will be strangely quiet not to hear those drums beating underneath my office.


In the driveway about ready to leave.


We ate lunch at Golden Corral in Provo with Grandma and Grandpa Lawrence.
I can never get a genuine smile from them all at once!

One last picture with Grandma and Grandpa

Here is the fateful moment when you're not sure if your heart can take it. The departure at the MTC is literally a drop-off. You barely have enough time to jump out, give your missionary a tearful last hug, and he's off with a sea of other dark suits and white shirts. I could not help but think of the words to the Primary song:
We are as the army of Helaman;
We have been taught in our youth;
And we will be the Lord's missionaries to bring the
world His truth.
If it were for a lesser cause, we could not part with our 19-year-old sons. I feel it a privilege to let him go and have the experience. It will forever shape his life, and I know there are people in New Mexico waiting to hear his message.
Funny how your mind can play tricks on you. All week I've had little moments where I've forgotten he's gone, and I'll think, "Oh, Gage should be home soon," or, "Oh, is Gage out of bed yet?" And then I'll remember he's gone, and it's hard to explain the empty feeling you get. The house seems so quiet. I can't quite get my mind wrapped around it. I don't like having half my children gone.



The next day we sent this sweet girl back to Ukraine. This is Rita (on the right). She was in our home for the last three days of the hosting program. Shelby (on the left) is our friend and neighbor and translated for us a lot.
At the airport sending the kids home to Ukraine.
We're still in a holding pattern waiting for Ukraine to lift the quarantine. We hope to go soon but most likely will not be able to keep our original SDA date of November 17. It's very difficult to know how to plan.
Today is Veteran's Day. No better time to say how thankful I am to be living in such a great country. I am so proud to have a son serving in the United States Air Force. We love you, Eric!


2 comments:

  1. Oh Lori! My heart hurts for your loneliness for your boys. I am dreading Kambree leaving for college next fall and I don't even want to think about Austin heading on his mission. It's not easy this parenting thing.
    So, whats up with Rita? I heard it was a tearful goodbye. She is a darling girl. So....give me the skinny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We hope you get to Ukraine soon! You've waited so long, only to now have to wait. You've got nerves of steel. :) We're all anxious to find out when you can finally go.

    Rita is a sweet girl. If she's friends with Shelby, she has to be a good kid. She'll be missed.

    ReplyDelete