Saturday, November 14, 2009

Letter from Sasha

Michael called me from his office Friday to say, "Have you checked the e-mail? We got a letter from Sasha!"

I fairly flew to the computer. In our in-box was an e-mail from someone named Igor. Here is what it said. (To protect people's identities, I have not included last names or names of cities.)

Dear Michael and Lori,

Good afternoon. I'm writing to you from R_____, Ukraine. My name is Igor _____. I'm 29. I live in _____. I work at school as a teacher of English. I'm married. My wife is Natasha. She works at the boarding school where Sasha _____ studies. The director of the school said that you are going to come to R_____ in November and we agreed about your staying at our place. That's why I decided to write you some words about our family beforehand. Besides we talked to Sasha. He misses you very much and he wrote a letter to you. I'll translate it for you.

"Dear my family!!!
I've read the letter you wrote to me. Mother and father come to Ukraine, please. Mavesa (Marissa) and Kven (Quinn) my study is OK. I try to learn English as much as I can. I already know the ABC. How is Kven. Does he go to school? I love you and I'm looking forward to see you soon. I'll prey for you to come to Ukraine and take me with you.
I'm looking forward to our bicycle riding, mountain trips. I miss our visits to Mavessa (Marissa) and Gache (Gage). I'd like to play James Bond with me. I am OK. I see dreams that you come and take me with you and we live happily.
Love, Sasha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

How cute is that? Michael promptly fired back an e-mail. Here is an excerpt:

"Thank you very much for the kind e-mail. It is so good to hear from Sasha. As you have probably heard by now, Ukraine is not issuing referrals to orphanages because of the swine flu epidemic. In fact, we read today that ______ was added to the list of oblasts that are under quarantine. So we do not know when we will be able to get over there to get Sasha. We are very disappointed about the delay. Please explain to Sasha that the delays are beyond our control and that we will get there as soon as the Ukrainian government allows. Please tell Sasha we love him and pray for him every day. Please tell him Quinn and Marissa are doing well. Tell him Gage left for two years on a humanitarian mission last week."

So there is no more news really about the quarantine, just that it continues. Our facilitator is predicting the week of November 23, but no one knows really. Once it is lifted, the SDA will give us a new date. We are trying very hard to keep our spirits up. The government offices in Ukraine close December 22 through January 7, which is looming and will most likely interfere with completing any adoption. That would mean one of us going back after January 7 to finish out the process if we were able to go in November to start the process or, alternatively, waiting until January to begin the whole process. I guess three trips to Ukraine will not be enough, but who's counting?

We ask for your prayers. We have asked Heavenly Father to open doors for us according to His will, and we will try to smile through it all.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lori,
    I got a letter form my daughter in Ukraine today and she did say that the quarantaine will last until November 23rd.
    I hope you get there soon. I know you are all eager to be together as a family with Sasha!
    Monique

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet, sweet letter! Oh, I hope things go smooth and you get him home before Christmas.
    You are in my prayers!
    W

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good to read about your family. We should get a blog for our family!! But I have no clue how to do that! Oh what a disappointment for all of you, and especially for Sasha. How hard for a little boy to wait that long for his family to get him. Nothing has gone smooth for you guys with the adoption!!!! I guess the Lord will decide when to finally grand you your righteous wish!!! Hang in there, Do not give up!! Sasha's letter is wonderful. It was a privilege for our family to be part of your first visits with Sasha! Good luck to your family and I hope we will see you soon again.
    Love from - still warm - Arizona,
    Debbie Jarvis

    ReplyDelete