Monday, November 30, 2009

Saturday, Day 5

We were pretty lazy today. After a yummy breakfast of mashed potatoes (weird but good), the three of us decided to go outside for a walk. We were gone about two hours. Natasha also joined us. Everything is muddy here. There are no real sidewalks, so mostly we had to pick our way down the road. (Pictures coming.)

Later, Igor and Natasha walked Michael and I over to Igor's parents' to experience "bonya." It's a "steam house." We were instructed to go inside, take off our clothing, pour water on the hot rocks, and breathe in the steam. Like obedient children, we did as instructed. (When in Rome) I need to clarify here. No, I didn't undress in front of strangers. Holy cow! It was only big enough for me and Michael. It felt like about 400 degrees in there. We only lasted about 15 minutes and got dressed. It was a fun experience, and now we can say we've experienced Ukrainian bonya! Many people in this village have their own little "steam houses." No washers, dryers, or Internet, but they have saunas! They believe it to be very healthy for your lungs and skin. I should think the cessation of cigarette smoking might also do the trick! It is now three a.m., and I'm up writing in my diary.

2 comments:

  1. Ha, ha, ha! That is like the sauna that Amy and I went to only we got smacked with those bonya leaves...
    Were their men AND women together? Thank goodness my experience was women only!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, Wendy. Goodness! Only big enough for me and Michael. Michael says the dimensions were about six feet by six feet. The dressing room was three feet by four feet.

    ReplyDelete