Thursday, March 4, 2010

I am behind on my blogging. (If anyone can explain to me why my computer is underlining all my typing, I'd appreciate it. I can't get it turned off.)

I wanted to journal what has happened to my cute Dad the last month or so. My dad is 83 years old and has had heart trouble since he was 50 or so. He's undergone two triple bypass surgeries during his lifetime and currently has a pacemaker. He has been feeling so tired lately, and Mom insisited on taking him to the ER about the beginning of February. They ran all kinds of tests on him and discovered he has a VERY leaky valve and that his blood count was dangerously low, which resulted in a colonoscopy to find out why. The colonoscopy unveiled that he has colon cancer. They operated on him about ten days ago and took out about a foot and a half of his lower intestine. It was a scary day. Operations on an 83-year-old with a bad heart are uncertain. All five of his children were at the hospital that day, along with Mom. He did amazingly well, but now is facing chemotherapy for the next six months. He seems discouraged, and on top of that, he has been suffering with pneumonia for the last week and can't seem to shake it with his antibiotics. We hope he will be able to go home from the hospital very soon. I think Mom is give out. I wish I lived closer so I could be there for them.

Here are a couple videos we took last Sunday of my stir-crazy children anxious for spring.

5 comments:

  1. Love the videos! Good to see Alex smiling and happy in your family. He's a handsome fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. His English is sooo good! What cute video's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your dad. We are dealing with similar problems. My dad turns 81 next month. He had Parkinsons and had a pacemaker put in last month, but have not been able to get his heart regulated yet, problems with the meds. Has congestive heart failure and also can't shake his pneumonia either. It is so difficult to watch parents with health problems and to find the time to balance out and fit in all the demands in life right now. Some how things will all work out. It is comforting to have the Gospel and an understanding of the plan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry Lori. I didn't know you were dealing with all that family stuff right now. We should get together with our kids and let them just run and play at a park or on a soccer field while we walk around and chat. Let's work it out sometime. I'd love to catch up.

    What fun pictures of shooting!!

    ReplyDelete